Bedford is a Turkey (not literally) & Mane Pulling Madness

Well, Georgia is solidly in Monsoon season. And if you don't know what that means, it's when we just have rain for a week or so at a time. And lucky me, I arrived back to GA just in time to start experiencing this lovely phenomenon, so needless to say, my first full day back home, I definitely didn't get back to the barn like I planned, so today it was!

A face only a mother could love.
Of course, no plan to spend time at the barn can go unscathed. Usually, on Wednesdays and in the Fox Hunting "off-season" we puppywalk/take the hounds out for exercise, which is usually a two hour/six or so mile affair, complete with a beer/water break midway through to keep the hounds in good condition and bring the young hounds along slowly. Alas, it was not to be had today (see above monsoon season comment), so I went to the barn solo instead, and here's where the 'Bedford the Turkey' comment comes in.

He's actually kinda handsome when he's not being cranky.
Bedford isn't an actual turkey of course.  He's a horse. With four legs. duh. But, he can be...kind of a... butt... sometimes. He's one of those horses that does better with regular work. 3-4x a week preferably. Usually between myself and another girl at the barn, we keep him in check, and this leads to him being the type of horse that you love to ride. The type of horse that you can go out for a 2 1/2 mile trail ride, gallop down the lane, and then go out to the cross country jump field, and totally make up a jump course as you go. And the best part is, you do it all with a loop in the reins and a smile on your face because well, dang it, he's such a fun horse to ride because who doesn't love to be able to do that kind of thing?!

Unless he hasn't been ridden for a week. Then he's a turkey (as his owner, Dr. Jim likens him to). A squealing, hump his back, grab the bit/'I don't wanna go nowhere but my pasture' crankypants. And that's what he was today. And it wasn't fun. But we got through it, and Friday will be better. And he still got treats after, because, well, he's my Bedford-boo. And always will be no matter how cranky he can be sometimes.

Wild Mane, Before.
Wild Mane, Tamed!
The mane carnage.
Afterwards, it was day 1 of prep for the horse show at Highfields on Saturday that we're going to, and in which I'm showing Madison in a few Jumper classes. Nothing fancy (literally, the show series is called 'Just for Fun') but the Foxhunter/Foxboro Farm crew is going to show up and dominate, and the perfectionist in me refuses to show up with a horse that doesn't have her mane pulled/isn't clipped/yadda yadda. So today was mane pulling day, and man, are my fingers sore after that debacle. I swear, I took out half of her mane. Her thick, crazy, double sided, draft cross mane. Again, ouch. But it looks a million times better!






Comments

Popular Posts