The Final Countdown...to Hunt Season!


Yes, you read right. It's less than 30 days until OPENING MEET 2018! If you can't tell, I'm just a little excited. Last Wednesday was the first time in a few weeks (shameful, I know) that I was able to make it out to Wednesday night puppy-walking/hound exercise, and other than the heat (it's still 90+ degrees some days down here in GA, even in October),and short of spending the first...15-20 minutes re-acquainting myself with Bedford and his particular jumping style, it was a lovely evening. Madison's owner and 'dad' was even out this particular week, so it was a treat to catch up with him and see how he and his wife were doing.

Waking up the day after was a different story, as I could immediately tell I hadn't ridden much (and been sick) in the last three weeks; to go from a few 30 minute hacks to a 2 hour long ride was a big wake-up call for my body, and I realized that the 'riding-shape' I had gotten in to over the summer had quickly dissipated with going back to school and work now eating up my time. I will totally admit, I have been slacking on the gym workouts too, and I know that hasn't helped. So yes, I'm excited for Hunting season to be officially upon us and to hear the cries of the hounds as they find a good scent and the sound of thundering hoof beats all around as we make our way behind them, but I don't know if my body is physically ready!

Bedford looking so handsome in his custom Stübben saddle. 


Sunday was a physical embarrassment as well; while I made it through riding all three of the horses (Madison, Marshall and Bedford), the combination of breaking in new boots (ouch), soreness from race-walking a 5k the day before, and breaking in a new saddle for Bedford (slipping all over the place) made for some less than positionally correct (is that a word/phrase?) rides, but thankfully I was able to hide in the woods by myself for the most part. Thankfully, I came home to dinner on the table by my ever so-wonderful SO, which was a much needed pick me up, and convinced me that I was indeed, not going to die after riding all three horses, even though I might have felt like it. So three cheers for gel seats in saddles, wonderful horses (lookin at you Madison <3), and even more wonderful SO's, who keep us going when we feel like we're going to fall over after a long day.

Comments

Popular Posts