Series: What the heck, why not? An introduction to the many different horses of Zero Foxes Given

It's only fitting that one of the first 'real' posts of this blog is devoted to the horses I ride. Just kidding, it's going to be more than just the first post...it'll probably be the first, second and maybe third, because let's face it, the horses are the most important point. Without them, I wouldn't be writing this blog, nor would I be foraying into foxhunting.

Cooper, the very first horse I rode at Foxboro


My main mare, Madison

For those of you wondering why the series is named 'What the heck, why not?', it's because I have never been fortunate enough to have my own personal horse, so I've always relied on the generosity of others to have a horse to ride. In the time I've been riding at Foxboro (just over two years now) I've ridden more horses than in my entire life-well, with the exception of my time at Del Val in the Equine Studies Program. These horses run the gamut of slow, not so slow (ha!), spotted, fat, fatter & 'I don't know if I can find a girth or girth extender to fit around this horse fat', ex-show hunters, partially blind/missing one eye, ex polo ponies/racehorses, and so very much more.



They are far from the saintly lesson horses I grew up on, or the trained showjumpers, eventers or dressage horses that I was fortunate enough to ride in my more recent years. So, that's the reasoning behind the 'why not.' Rarely do I turn down a horse to ride...unless it's a true baby, or something just barely green broke. I've hurt myself enough during previous rides over the years and during my years in the military that I've stopped bouncing when I fall; and while helmets are always worn, they only do so much.


Regardless of their background, color or ability (or in-ability) to canter a 20-meter circle/jump a course of eight stadium or hunter fences in fine style, the ones that I continue to ride these days never fail to teach me something; it might be the minimum number of rides per week needed to keep a certain ex-hunter's anger management issues in check, or how many new things can be introduced to a six year old OTTB who is currently attending  foxhunting basic training, no matter how bombproof he already is.

Marshall, my favorite spotty boy
And all of these make me feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to ride them all every single time...and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear about your delightful string of misfits. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts