Hoofbreak hotel, Party of 1, Checking in.

Sigh. If it's not one thing, it's another. A while back, I posted about buying bell boots in a experiment to stop the pulling of shoes by River. Well, it happened again about a week and a half ago, just after our puppy walking/hound exercise debut. The shoe got put back on last Wednesday, and along with it, a mystery lameness. I thought it might be an abscess, but his mom (having much more experience with this than I do) figured that it was where our farrier hit the sensitive part of his poor little foot. Unfortunately, we discovered that it was that, plus some ill suited shoeing to his little TB feet.

He wanted nothing to do with the hay I so kindly put out.
For some background, when Chris initially adopted River from the Equine Rescue of Aiken, he had awful feet. Like, this horse might never be riding sound awful feet. But she and her wonderful farrier Keith worked miracles and got him not only sound, but riding sound. Fast forward to now, and our farrier, while great with our big, sturdy, mostly Draft X hunt horses, might not be so great with sensitive little TB feet.

Long story short, while I go to a family reunion this weekend in the mountains of Kentucky with Michael and my Mother's side of the family, he is back at home with his Mom, his best girlfriend Ruthie, and getting some glue on shoes (which I might add, is a totally new concept to me, I've never seen them in person before), and getting some TLC that only his Momma can provide. Safe to say I already miss the little booger, and his stinkin' cute face in the pasture, but my hope is that he gets better soon so we can go back to puppy walking and playing on the trails!

Comments

Popular Posts