Fixture Card Friday, & 84 Days until Hunt Season!

If you're like me, you eagerly count down the days to anything remotely important happening; vacations, significant events, dentist appointments and things like horse shows, but in this case, it's OPENING MEET of Hunt Season! A week or so ago (it may have been longer, but life has been a little busy lately), Belle Meade Hunt posted the Fixture Card for the 2018-2019 season. For anyone reading who isn't really 'in' the foxhunting world, it's a glorified list of all the days we plan to hunt during the season, starting (this year) on Saturday, 3 November with Opening Meet. You can see below all the different days we will hunt (mostly Wednesdays and Saturdays) along with our special occasions like Joint Meets with TVH and Aiken, as well as the much anticipated 'Hunt Week', which culminates in the Hunt Ball (one of my favorite things) where everyone dresses up, scarlet coats and all, and comes out to celebrate the sport and camaraderie that fox hunting brings.


Last year was my first Opening Meet, and what a day it was. I was lucky enough to ride my sweet girl Madison, and even braided her (which did not turn out as well as I had hoped-a little out of practice), but nonetheless, she was an absolute superstar for my first 'real' Foxhunt, and gave me goosebumps multiple times as we galloped over the land, and jumped coops in the fence lines that may have scared me just a little. This year, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to ride in Opening Meet again, but as with the tale of the perpetual 'horseless rider', it's never a guarantee, especially during hunt season when priority (obviously) goes to the owner. If not, I'll be happy to join my friends in the Tally-Ho wagons that will trundle along the country near the horses, and enjoy food and adult beverages while watching the action.

I wish I had taken more photos from last year, but I was so caught up in the excitement of it all that photos were few and far between. Also, my black coat at the time may or may not have been super tight and a little restricting even just to ride in, let alone take photos occasionally. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the action, adventure and rush of excitement that goes with hunting season, even if afterwards I'm useless to the world because of how tired I am....but at least this year, I have Michael, my boyfriend, living with me now so he can walk the dogs, so when I finally make it home after riding 10 or so miles, I can shower and collapse on the couch!


Comments

Popular Posts